There are over 100 million Americans who don’t want or can’t obtain a credit card today. Secured cards are the only other option for credit building available.
That is until Extra has come out with a debit card that builds your credit score.
Extra’s mission is to make credit building safer and more accessible to everyone, all with the familiarity and predictability of a debit card—no credit checks, no interest rates and no hidden fees.
Extra is the first debit card that builds your credit and earns points just like a credit just, just without the hassle.
How It Works:
- Sign up by connecting your bank account, and Extra will give you a spending limit based on your bank balance with no credit check.
- When you swipe your Extra Card, they will spot you for that purchase and automatically pay themselves back the next business day.
- At the end of the month, they total up all of your transactions and report them to credit bureaus as credit worthy payments.
Extra uses your spending to build up a credit history with major credit bureaus. What Extra does is make you look like less of a risk to lenders by taking your transactions and reporting them as timely payments, also known as positive information. They report this positive information on a monthly basis, which can help you increase your credit score.
Extra’s parent company, Fabric, has been building innovative fintech products for over 10 years. The company was founded in 2008 by Twitter co-founders Biz Stone and Jason Goldman to promote financial education.
Extra makes credit building easier and accessible while also providing the same features and benefits as your everyday debit card.
You can use Extra to manage your money, pay bills, shop online and in-store, and receive direct deposits from your employer.
You’ll get real-time fraud alerts and 24/7 fraud support from a real person when you swipe your card.
Extra comes with 2 pricing options, on monthly or yearly plans:
Rewards + Credit Building – $12/month
- Build credit history
- Earn points for every purchase
- Exclusive access to Extra Shops
Rewards + Credit Building – $108/year ($9/month)
- Build credit history
- Earn points for every purchase
Extra charges no hidden fees, which is especially nice for people who are trying to build their credit scores.
Most credit-building products make money from interest rates, hidden fees, and the selling of personal data (especially the “free” cards) — not Extra.
Only a few minutes are required to apply for an Extra debit card, and you won’t get a credit check after you sign up.
You must meet the following requirements:
- At least 18 years old
- US or Canadian bank account
- US mailing address
Just hit apply now here and enter your phone number, email address and you’ll get a code sent to your phone. Once the verification is complete you can enter in your personal information (full name, date of birth, address, SSN/ITIN) and link a US checking account or savings account. Once you are approved, your Extra card will come in the mail (may take up to 10 business days).
Extra Pros and Cons
Here are the pros about the Extra card:
- Your Extra card allows you to improve your credit history by making purchases. There’s no danger of paying interest or getting into debt when you use your Extra card.
- If you like to use your debit card as part of managing your finances, then Extra is worth checking out. It can help you build up your credit without tying up your own money.
- You can earn rewards with the Extras Perks program. You can earn 1 point for every $1 you spend on your card, and you’ll get 2x the points on bonus categories like supermarkets, gas stations, and more.
- You can get a virtual card while you wait for the physical card to arrive in the mail.
Here are some things to be mindful of about the Extra card:
- There is a monthly fee of $7 for a basic plan or $12 for the plan that includes rewards.
- There is no access to ATMs with your Extra card.
It is a legitimate way to build your credit score. The Extra debit card is unlike most debit cards in that it can help you improve your credit and earn reward points. This card is a fantastic alternative if you want to improve your credit without having a credit check, accrue debt, or pay interest on your purchases.
Frequently Asked Questions
Extra is the first debit card that builds your credit history and earns rewards points just like a credit card. Lenders use your credit score to help determine whether to approve you for a line of credit as well as what interest rate and terms they can offer you.
Nope, Extra is not a secured card. They do not require any deposits, have zero interest fees, and allow users to keep their existing bank account! Also, since you’re borrowing money from yourself with a secured card, it is way less impressive to the credit bureaus when compared to Extra.
Extra currently reports to both Equifax and Experian at the end of each month!
Extra should start appearing on your credit report by the 15th of the following month. If it does not, you should reach out to the Members Concierge in the Extra App.
Extra pays itself off daily, meaning your credit utilization will always be reset every 24hrs—imagine an auto-playing credit card without the interest. Because of this, you won’t have to worry about staying below the recommended 30% threshold ever again.
Extra is the first debit card that builds your credit history and earns reward points just like a credit card all with your existing bank account.
You can literally:
- Build your credit (without debt)
- Keep your bank account
- No interest charges or surprises
- The best rewards store. Ever
Extra’s mission is to make credit building safer and more accessible for everyone.
By getting the card, you can join the growing community of over 75,000+ members who are building credit with the debit card. (Only takes about 2 minutes)